There have been many moments in my life where I have wavered on accepting this title. But after 10 years of blogging, and over 20 years of choral singing, I know that who I am at my core is a singer. It is a huge component of my identity. Singing is an expressive means for me to communicate. While it is my pleasure to work with patients on discovering their communicative voice as a Speech-Language Pathologist, singing has always been and will continue to be my expressive mode of communication.
There is a overwhelming gratitude I feel towards the blog for holding me accountable to my passion: choral music. For the past 10 years, I have shared my thoughts while going through an artistic process and relayed these discoveries with my readers. In recent years, the blog has also developed into a platform where I am able to share the work of other singers, composers, conductors, organizations, and choirs as well. It is staggering to articulate the significance this blog has served for me, as well as others, over this past decade. I have enjoyed looking through my posts and photos to assemble some of my favorite moments. It's also exciting to look towards the future and contemplate what new projects, pieces of repertoire, singers, conductors, and composers I haven't yet had the pleasure of meeting.
Please enjoy this anniversary post and my apologies in advance since I'm certain people have been missed from this sampling of content. Regardless, thank-you, dear readers, for continuing to read my choral musings.
10 Year anniversary by Sable C
Listed below are 20 significant posts on The Choir Girl Blog over the past 10 year. Many of them signal a change in my role as an artist, thinking, or direction at each chronological time point in the blog.
1. Camp: A Rite of Passage
2. We'll Sing Anywhere
3. Choir Uniforms Do's and Don'ts
4. Arrival of the Virtual Choir 2.0
5. ESO Reviews
6. Making the Cut
7. Sh*t Choristers Say-An Interview with the Vancouver Cantata Singers
8. Tweet Me. Embracing Social Media at Podium 2012
9. Opera Girl
10. Painting the Nightingale
11. The Culture of Fear in Rehearsals
12. Epilogue: Life after the Circus
13. Dear, Opera Chorus
14. Backstage at Madama Butterfly
15. I'm a bit of a hippie: An Interview with Cy Giacomin
16. Interview with the Queen of the Night and Sarastro, Teiya Kasahara and Neil Craighead
17. Podium 2016 Social Media Team
18. National Youth Choir Class of 2016
19. An Interview with Jane Berry
20. The Formation of FEMME